Monday 21 November 2005

My goodness, don't they know what dirt is?

I miss working in Surigao. It was easy to just sit down after work to eat banana Q with liters and liters of Coke. The chit-chat was relaxing as well, especially if the conversation centers on someone's love affair, or the absence of it. When everyone gathers around peanuts spread across the working table and the conversation is so animated you would think they're going to redo the mission-vision, then think again: these people are simply talking about why, despite the age of 68, Mrs X is retiring, when she would get her PERAA (I think this has something to do with private pension), what she would do with the money despite it being well-known that her list of credit is longer than a department's modules all put together.

I am still updated of what's going on there. And they have incomparable problems!

The constant disturbance of resignation/retirement affects everybody like it's the strangest thing to ever happen in a company. The allusion when someone is told of one's departure is that of increasing amount of work but not of pay. Meanwhile, the company that keeps on giving more work to these underpaid people constantly appeal to their "loyalty" and "pride" like it's some bleeding charity organisation. Apparently, the employees are thought of as monks who do not have families to support, children to look after, lives and careers to pursue. They are expected to devote their days in the fulfillment of the vision-mission while being hammered during seminars on the importance of family time.

Still I would say, I miss working there. The work-leisure balance is incomprehensible, unless you don't consider eating banana Q while chatting outside break time as leisure. Imagine my surprise when I started working in England without the benefit of banana Q or peanuts and the luxury of gossip? And I was horrified, horrified beyond belief when I encountered these in every office/company I've worked with:

The computer monitors and keyboards have never heard of "dusting-off". They were installed on table-tops thinking that they need dust in order for them to work properly, for why would they coin the term virus if their job is not meant to spread the power of bacterial communication?

I understood the beauty of the word "swirl". This is what people do with their coffee/tea mugs. No, they don't wash and rinse their breaktime gadget. Before a cuppa, they would simply put a bit of water to their mug, swirl to remove any un-dried particles from yesterday's drink, as if, then throw, i mean, whisk away that bit of water and add the desired tea/coffee/hot water.

People don't eat during break time; they just drink. Until now, I still wonder if it's because they eat proper meals or they overeat unhealthy food.

When they open pages of books/several sheets of paper, they stick out their tongue and wet a finger before leafing through the pages. Can you imagine the variety of DNA samples available in every invoice in the office? The thought of it makes me sick actually.

But then again, they flush their toilets. So who am I to complain?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! And I thought they're conscious of their waistline:)

d3nd3n said...

hi soy!!! thanks for dropping by my blog. it's great to know another pinoy blogger in the uk.

will definitely be back. :-)

Analyse said...

they stick out their tongue and wet a finger before leafing through the pages.

they do that here too, yuck!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit here... when I was in Phils I used my teeth to cut a bit of tape off a roll, natural instinct watched my Mum do it for years. My ex was horrifed "Ewww! Huwag! Bleugh!" Hehe...

 
English Karadjaw - Templates Novo Blogger