Friday 13 June 2008

Heels and shoulders knees and shoes...

The controversial high heels for babies age 0-6 months caught my attention, not because of its ghastly pink colour, but because, well they're just so over the top. I mean, why would a baby need high heels, for heaven's sake? Are they also good for their developing feet? Ok, they don't walk yet at that age, but that's the stage when they start standing, learning balance, etc.

I must admit they're cute. It was also so entrepreneural for the two mums who thought of this idea. On BBC this morning, even a vicar was interviewed why he opposes the 'sexualisation' of baby clothing. A magazine editor turned down advertising application for this product but then went on TV afterwards to talk about it and inadvertently advertising the product they so dislike on 'moral grounds'.


I must say, it's just so "heelarious"!


Anyway. This type of shoes also remind me of yummy mummies I see at my son's school.

I see this mummy who takes her kid to school dressed in her pajama bottoms and house slippers. He hair is neat; she even has make up on sometimes, but every morning, it's the same pajama bottoms and slippers. I admire her. She doesn't have hang-ups about dressing properly just to drop off a kid at her classroom door. She doesn't care that around her, there's a competition for the yummiest mummy, the most expensive pushchair, and the highest of heels.


I also admire this Filipino woman who walks a mile from her home to school to drop off a kid and then walk back home again. IN HEELS higher than her legs. She walks in little steps. I admire her and I'm not being heelarious!

5 comments:

bananas said...

heels for babies when hundreds of poor children in mindanao go to school--or run around and chase each other in their communities--sans slippers?

Analyse said...

ew. i've always been opposed to that. even in pinas, they commercialize high heeled shoes for kids. what for? for the sake of fashion? my!

but then again, louna was parading with my high heeled shoes this afternoon. she's learning too fast!

Anonymous said...

I once had a parent show up in fuzzy houseshoes and her robe to serve a detention for her son. She didn't think he deserved it. As far as the heels for babies go, I never would have put them on my daughters. Kids need to have fun being kids. Growing up comes too fast as it is.

SHIELA said...

Ako nga nahihirapan maglakad sa high heels bata pa? Wala na talagang magawa ang inventor pati infant e me high heels na :)

Sya nga pala if you don't mind pwede i feature ko yang high heels sa isa kong blog, very interesting kasi :)

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

heehee i can imagine eva longoria's little steps in that filipino lady in her high heels...coool...

naku kung may baby lang ako, i would rush and buy it right away, harhar, yummy mommy, bwaaahhh

 
English Karadjaw - Templates Novo Blogger