Sunday 25 May 2008

What does it take to be beautiful?

I looked at the reviews of Olay on the internet but I could never find a negative feedback. I don't know if the only reason why they're all pro-Olay is because they've all been initiated by Olay marketing and advertising? Or it could be that it just works on all types of skin.

Anyway, I'm still using this product because I feel that it really works for me (or am I just convincing myself that it does because nothing has worked on me yet?).

Let's have a look at the ingredients of this
Olay moisturiser:

Aqua, Glycerin, Sorbitan Stearate, Dimethicone, Paraffinum Liquidum, Petrolatum, Cetyl Ricinoleate. Sucrose Cocoate, Dimethiconol, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Glyceryl Hydroxystearate, Parfum, Stearic Acid, Steareth-100, Tetrasodium EDTA, Potassium Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Palmitic Acid, Myristyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Myristic Acid, CI 17200, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde


Too many and too complicated to pronounce! I highlighted in red the ones I'd like to point out here, the ones I know that worry me: methyl and propyl parabens. Now, I'm not a chemical expert but there's something here that even an ignoramus like me could understand. Parabens, once applied to the skin, can accumulate in the body tissues. This BBC news item shows how this chemical was found in tissues of breasts with cancer.


Moreover, a lot of creams, lotions, even baby lotions, have parabens. Whenever I go to the supermarket, it would take me ages to choose one because I end up reading all the ingredients so I could discard those that have paraben content. However, this chemical also comes in other names.

Indeed it's never easy to be beautiful, is it?
There is no study of the long-term effect of using products with paraben, nor is there a study to say that paraben causes cancer. But one thing is certain: Chemicals are bad for our body. We might say that the amount is minute, but once used, over time, and with a cocktail of other chemicals in other products (day cream, night cream, soap, shampoo, conditioner, make-up, perfume, not to mention that air fresheners in our kitchen and car, etc), who can say that it can't do any harm?


What alarms me as well is that even tiny babies already use lotions, powder, soap, shampoo and perfume!! WHY? Why apply chemicals on their pure, tiny little bodies? Do babies really need shampoo and perfume? In the Philippines, I used to see mothers applying Johnson's products on their infants.


So possibly, the easy option is to choose Organic. Or never use beauty products at all! Can you imagine that?


I think it's called HAVING A NATURAL BEAUTY.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

soy, isn't it funny that wanting to have 'natural beauty' is just so darned expensive? whaahaha!

Soy said...

Hi Caryn, it is, isn't it? And they also make it appear so easy! :)

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

organic? it's too expensive, never use beauty products? that I can never imagine. dapat siguro i shouldn't be watching commercial ads and looking at billboards. i think i can never go for natural beauty din, meron na kasi akong comparison, sad to say but i turn into something beautiful if i put on something to my face.

Soy said...

Girlie, that's one thing unfortunate. there's no other healthier option to beauty products except organic ones. as long as we're informed siguro as to the products we use, then i think that's better than nothing, di ba?

Analyse said...

chemicals are bad for our body - the purists of chemists would say even water or air that you breath are chemicals, lol... but yes, there are a lot of dangerous chemicals hidden in those beauty products.. but they are mostly in quantities not nocive to human health..

 
English Karadjaw - Templates Novo Blogger