Tuesday 18 November 2008

Best Nanay




Girlie passed on to me this award. This made me think. What kind of a mother am I? Am I really best for my children? Also, I've never been 'best' in anything! My cooking is rubbish. My home is not always spic and span. So in a way, there's a little feeling of guilt to be called 'Best Mom' when I don't even cook for my children!

Probably, the 'best' I have given my children is 'time'. I don't want to enumerate what sort of 'time' I have spent with them but I am confident to say that it was both quantity and quality time. I only work a few hours a week, after Lewis turned 1, just to get me out of the house and smell something else other than dirty nappies and milk. I'm glad to say I enjoy every minute of motherhood. One day, when Lewis is in school full time, I could refocus on my career and be financially independent. When the boys are both grown up and living their own lives, I could hold my head up and tell myself, 'I looked after them myself!'

But I don't want to gloat. There are mothers out there who have to work full time and leave their babies to nannies or childminders so they could help feed the family. Maybe I am just lucky that I don't have to and that I have a husband who doesn't mind. There are lots of frustrations in not being able to work full time and earn good money. But this is my choice and the downsides are only for me to swallow. The latest It-bag could wait. My old jeans would still do. But my babies grow and before I know it, they're gone. I just can't afford to lose out on them.

I would like to pass this on to Analyse and Aileen. Great mothers and fantastic career women who know how to balance family life without ending up pathetic like me. I just wish I had their energy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soy, you made a really great choice. I always admire women who can give up their careers to be full time with their kids, and going back to their career again once their kids go to school. Quality time and the quantity of quality time you spend with your kids surely bring in great results, you see, your kids are so witty! I believe they pick it up from you, hihihi. your tales with Zak and Lewis always bring me smiles.

veta said...

through reading here in your site Ma'am made me think that u played what a real and best mother ever...

Francesca said...

i never find motherhood as pathetic, because its a career harder than working in enterprises.

And soy, the way you wrote your blog, you are a good writer.

You might end up writing books for films, one never knows...

 
English Karadjaw - Templates Novo Blogger