Monday 10 November 2008

homework madness

As soon as we got home from school, I sat down with Zak to do his homework. There is something about homeworks that get to my nerves. He is only 6 years old and for him to do 3 subjects almost every night is too much. I try as much as I can to make it a funny activity rather than a chore and I always wish that the next homework would be all about numbers so that I could copy from the internet the mathematical formulae of the quantum mechanics of chaos and let Zak submit it to his teachers.


This afternoon, we did spelling. Ten words. After the third word, he started acting up. GIRL was spelt as GERL. I would say the word again, stretching my mouth sideways, to emphasize letter I, but he would pretend to be dozing off and unable to concentrate. So I used the words in sentences to make sense. 'Next word is GIRL. Zak is a GIRL!' He jumped up and yelled, 'I'm not a girl! I'm a boy!' So I laughed out loud and told him to write the word GIRL, as it should be. 'Next word is MOST. Mummy is the MOST beautiful of all the mothers in the world.' He smiled and wrote down the word. 'Next word is BLUE. Mummy's BLUE eyes are the most striking ever!' He stared at my eyes, shook his head and wrote down, BROWN.

The Literacy subject was the easiest for him. He had to write 2 sentences that make sense and two that don't. He explored a lot of silly statements and decided to write about defecating with sheeps and urinating with cows. We laughed our heads off before writing the sentences that make sense, which was about him and his daddy going to space taking photos.

I like supervising him with his homework. I am lucky in the sense that I have the luxury of time to devote to them. My job is not demanding and I can always have time off when necessary, like attending school plays, parents' evenings, etc. On the other hand, I don't like the pressure of school work. He is too young to worry about passing tests and finishing homeworks on time. It is not surprising that British school children are more stressed compared to their Scandinavian counterparts. There is too much politics in the school system that the best the parents could do is to be there for their children, help them out and make homework more fun and interesting.

6 comments:

Analyse said...

that's too much homework nga, i dread that day when i need to do homeworks with my kids, yay!

Anonymous said...

oh, i like that moment where you made zak spell "girl" correctly, hihihi, only a witty mom can outplay a witty boy, haha!

raqgold said...

homework is almost always the subject of conversation between moms of school kids here, too. when the reach the higher grades, there would be more homeworks. MC is only in the first grade such that she's not getting a lot, plus, it was recommended by the teacher that that kids should only stay for 30 mins doing homeworks or else they would flip out -- well then teachers should also not give to much homework or else moms would flip out :)

Francesca said...

and mothers are better teachers than the ones at school...
kudos to soy for being a supportive mom.

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

i often hear my kids say that school is stressful, so i'm not adding stress about school stuff.

Zak is really funny noh

Joy said...

Hahaha. Zak is adorable. I don't know anyone who enjoys motherhood more.

 
English Karadjaw - Templates Novo Blogger